City of Weldon Spring, Missouri
Seasonal Parks & Facilities Worker
- Temporary Part-time Position
- Division: Parks & Recreation
- Date: May 2, 2022
- Hours: 16-28 hours per week
- Salary: $12.00 - $15.50/hr
- Reports to: Parks & Facilities Superintendant
- Grade: 3
This position is responsible for maintaining city parks, facilities, and public spaces.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Inspects and maintains city parks, playgrounds, and facilities on a regular basis.
- Lawn and turf care including mowing, trimming, and turf restoration.
- From time to time maintain street rights-of-way and public landscape areas.
- Operates and maintains light outdoor equipment.
- Prepares fields for sporting events; prepares facilities for special programs and events.
- Cleans fields, restrooms, and parking lots.
- Performs a variety of construction, maintenance, and repair tasks.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Trims and prunes trees and shrubs; weeds and mulches landscape areas.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions apply over the counter fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
- Responsible for the routine maintenance and upkeep of city equipment and tools to ensure their longevity.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of turf care and maintenance.
- Knowledge of lake/pond care and maintenance.
- Knowledge of chemical applications.
- Knowledge of general electrical, plumbing, carpentry, water irrigation systems, concrete, and painting/staining principles.
- Knowledge of vehicle and equipment maintenance practices.
- Knowledge of tree and plant maintenance and care.
- Knowledge of custodial procedures.
- Knowledge of markings for athletic fields.
- Knowledge of the set up and take down of temporary fencing, barricades, signs, and banners.
- Skill in operating light outdoor equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Parks & Facilities Manager assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include building codes, safety regulations, supervisory instructions, and special event guidelines. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related duties connected to maintaining city parks and facilities.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to maintain city parks and facilities. Successful performance helps ensure the provision of safe and well-maintained parks and facilities for the citizens of Weldon Spring.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, parts suppliers, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently standing, walking, bending, crouching, climbing, sitting, and/or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity and skill.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed outdoors, where the employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, hot and cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as safety masks, goggles, and/or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of a high school education or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship, technical/skilled trade training or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Missouri for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.